Thursday, February 18, 2010

Never Thought I Would Eat a Bran Muffin...

The other day I got a horrid craving for bran muffins. You know, the ones from the recipe on the side of the 100% Bran cereal box?? My mom used to make them when I was a kid, and I haven't had one in years. Well, since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease, I thought I'd never be able to have another!!
So the other night I remembered there was a recipe for Oat Bran muffins on the side of the Quaker Oat Bran hot cereal box(though I buy it wholesale--not Quaker-I'm too cheap). So I set out to create a yummy gluten-free bran muffin, and it worked!!
So here is my wheat-free muffin recipe(note that some people are too sensitve to oats to eat them, and could possibly use rice bran).
3/4 cp oat bran
1 cp milk, scalded
2 eggs
1/3 cp oil
1 cp gf flour mix(I like cornstarch, white rice flour, and a touch of cornmeal)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cp brown sugar, rounded
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp xanthan gum(slightly rounded)

Heat oven to 375*. Scald milk and pour hot over the oat bran in a large mixing bowl. Let set five minutes while you grease the muffin cups. Add the sugar, eggs and oil to the cereal mix, stir til mixed. In smaller bowl measure rest of ingredients, and mix dry,(to blend the xanthan gum). Dump into wet mix and stir til thoroughly mixed, but only just.
Scoop into mufin cups and bake for about 15-20 min til browned and slightly puffed.
Note: They are also delicious if you mix up a crumble topping and sprinkle over each muffin.(like brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, bread crumbs, flour, cut together)

No comments:

Post a Comment

please be kind, folks:) Differences of opinion are fine, but let the love of Christ reign here...